Bone cancer is a rare cancer that begins in a bone. This can begin in any bone in the body, but it most commonly affects the long bones that make up the arms and legs. Several types of bone cancer exist. Some types of bone cancer occur primarily in children, while others affect mostly adults.
Three types of bone cancer:
- Osteosarcoma usually develops between 10 and 19 years of age and most commonly occurs in the knee or in the upper arm
- Chondrosarcoma begins in the cartilage, usually after age of 50
- Ewing's sarcoma occurs most often in young boys under 19 years.
The most common symptom of bone cancer is pain. Other symptoms vary depending on the location and size of the cancer. Surgery is the usual treatment. Other treatments may include amputation, chemotherapy and radiation. Because bone cancer can return after treatment, it is important that regular follow-up are on time.
Symptoms of bone cancer
- Pain . The pain can be quite vague at first, but gradually tends to be persistent and intense on the affected part of the bone.
- Swellings can be found in the affected area of the bone. It can only be noticeable if the bones are near the skin surface.
- Difficulty in moving a joint , if the cancer is near to a joint.
- Broken bone (fracture) in the tumor site after a minor injury. General symptoms may include fatigue, weight loss , sweating , etc. If the cancer spreads to other parts of the body, symptoms can vary.
The main treatments used for primary bone cancer are surgery , the chemotherapy and radiotherapy . The treatment or combination of recommended treatments in each case depends on various factors such as the type of cancer, the exact spot where it is located, how it is advanced (how big is the tumor and whether it has spread), and general health.
St. George Holistic Health Care Centre provides effective Homeopathic Treatment for Bone Cancer in Bangalore with experienced specialists.